Saturday, May 23, 2009

The unpredictability of life

First of all, is that even a word? yes, according to http://www.dictionary.com/ it is:

un⋅pre⋅dict⋅a⋅ble 
 /ˌʌnprɪˈdɪktəbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uhn-pri-dik-tuh-buhl]
–adjective
1.
not predictable; not to be foreseen or foretold: an unpredictable occurrence.
–noun
2.
something that is unpredictable: the unpredictables of life.
Origin: 1855–60; un- 1 + predictableRelated forms:
un⋅pre⋅dict⋅a⋅bil⋅i⋅ty, un⋅pre⋅dict⋅a⋅ble⋅ness, noun
un⋅pre⋅dict⋅a⋅bly, adverb
Synonyms:1. erratic, fitful, variable, uncertain.

Not only is it a proper word, all the definitions fits my life!

On April 29th my life was changed by the death of a co-worker. My job is such that I fill in for vacationing or ill co-workers as needed. This is the first time I've had to fill in for someone who died. Not easy shoes to fill since he was a beloved local news and sports anchor. I don't do sports and barely did news until a month ago when I stepped in to fill the hole created by Rich's sudden passing. Since then I've had to learn how to get up at 3 am and be coherent enough at 4 am to write and report news stories on the radio every 30 minutes for 5 hours, 5 days a week. At first I couldn't sleep because I was scared to death I would sleep through my alarm! then I was nervous about getting the stories written on time for the first newscast (15 minutes, all me). After about a week, I started to relax and build my confidence-I learned my alarm wouldn't fail me and that I always get the stories done on time. It is still weird to be filling in for someone who is no longer with us and I'm not crazy about doing the news, but a job is a job right now. I can now add news anchor to my radio resume.

On May 13th, my life changed again with the crash of my hard drive (see previous post). For the first time in 5 years I was unable to complete the Senior Sweet Memories video which was finished but lost along with everything else. I had to start over from scratch and lost $500 in the process (unable to complete the project on time) Still smarting from how stupid I feel about not protecting my livelihood better-an expensive lesson that I will only need to learn once!

The one constant seems to be Summer-we are members of the same pool, the boys always join swim team and a bunch of us hang out together enjoying "sun and surf" I can count on riding my scooter around and making a bit of money filling for vacationing DJ's...looking forward to the predictability of that-BRING ON SUMMER!




No comments:

Post a Comment