Saturday, May 2, 2009

What a week...

It started off like any other week but quickly went down hill on Tuesday when we were all called in to a meeting to find that out that there were two less employees due to budget cuts...dang it-again! and two of my favorite people no less. Even though the rest of us were told "this is the last cut" none of us felt any better or more secure.

I was woken up Wednesday morning at 4:30 AM to a phone call saying "the news guy didn't show up can you fill in?" oh dear, this man is a professional -I hope he didn't come down with the "blue flu" in protest. My other thought was 'something is terribly wrong' and that nagged me all morning until the worst was confirmed: his wife called and told us he had suffered a stroke and was in the hospital. We didn't find out until later that night how bad it was and then right before the Thursday morning news, we found out that he had passed away...no, no, no! I went from filling in for someone who was "just in the hospital" to now I'm filling in for a beloved local news and sportscaster who has died! A friend, colleague, really great guy and now someone I have to deliver a sad news story about like I don't know him...ugh! Needless to say, a rough morning on Thursday and surreal still.
A few links to find out about the man:


An audio tribute put together by Chris and Kramer:

We will miss you Rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment