Thursday, March 18, 2010

Feast or famine


I've pretty much always had the 'feast or famine' lifestyle in one form or another over the years. Although it's never been on a grand scale like worth millions to destitute to millions, I can count on certain times of the year to be better than others based on my radio and freelance careers.

Thankfully, it is feast time for the next few months, so I'm crazy busy right now! And although it is repeat business most of the time for my video making, there is always a twist or two when it comes to my radio career!

My radio career is mostly one of "Sue To The Rescue!" I've been in radio a long time and with the consolidation of stations (usually 5 or 6 in a building), I have experience in most any format and can fill in at a moments notice. Although I have my own show on the weekends (http://www.bigcountry979.com/), I am usually called to cover vacations, sickness or other emergencies. A great gig if you like the flexibility and never knowing what you will be doing or when you'll be working ( I mostly do). The income ebbs and flows with it, so that is the down side.

The current twist to that is adding learning how to do morning talk show producing-basically making sure all the elements and the talents sound great! This is something I haven't done since the new technology, so I am a little out of my usual comfort zone. My first solo day was Monday, and it was a little rough around the edges! Even after 25+ years in the radio business, this was all new and I was a nervous wreck! I don't know who said it first, but I think of the quote, "Do something every day that makes you nervous" Mission accomplished! BUT, now I can add Morning Show Producer to resume.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on taking chances and continuing to push yourself and grow! (Do you realize how many people don't?)

    ReplyDelete